Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happi Harouiin!

The weather's getting colder and some of the leaves are just starting to turn. I'm looking out the teacher room window right now, and the surrounding forest is going to be gorgeous!

I think I'm kind of getting the hang of how to teach lessons here. Since I'm an assistant, I have to adjust to one of the English teacher's teaching style. The other is more laid back and seems to be OK with whatever I do. Basically, every 2 weeks, I teach my lessons to the class. The other times, I'm a human tape recorder for the text book dialogs. "Please listen and repeat."
Here at Kita Jr. High, there are 3 classes for each grade level (7th, 8th, & 9th grade) and I'm in each one for one period a week. Life as a JET is pretty much as Az says it is. (If you don't know who that is, this guy is hilarious.)

I've just finished teaching my first round of Halloween lessons. I'm going to miss the festivities this year. The kids aren't totally unaware of Halloween. Most stores have some kind of display up, and you can find exactly 2 pumpkins at Cainz Home (it's like Lowes but with pets and linens and school supplies and a drugstore and beer by the case, actually, it's more like K-Mart but with a home improvement focus minus the clothes - and nicer). Anyway, Halloween isn't a new concept to these kids. No doubt my predecessors have told them all about it in previous years, but I think Disney is mostly to blame.

I don't know if it's just because I'm in the same prefecture as Tokyo Disneyland, but Disney crap is EVERYWHERE. Even in the 100yen stores, especially in the 100yen stores. Everywhere I go I can see either Jack Skellington, Stitch, or Marie. Who's Marie, you ask? Remember the little white stuck up French cat from The Aristocats?
I guess she looks enough like Charmy Kitty (Hello Kitty's pet cat (?!)) to warrant a rival merchandise line.
About 90% of the jr. high girls at my school have something Disney on their person at all times.
Yup, anything kawaii and Disney gets its face on everything, even those gawd-awful Disney Babies. *shudder*

No comments: